Pages

Tuesday, January 10, 2023

My favourite KPop songs of 2022

Yo, first post of 2023. Did I even post shit last year?? Feels like I touched this blog ages ago, haha. Hope my new more stressful and time consuming job won't prevent me from posting shit that I aim to this year. (╯˘ -˘ )╯

While I didn't post shit last year I didn't stop listening to KPop and I am happy how we had a surge of KPop songs infused with rock elements. The whole y2k trend is cool too since it brings me back to my childhood and shit. Saying all that, the subjective unnumbered list of the KPop shit that I liked from 2022 is under the jump break.


Byung-woong Ahn, Khakii (Feat. Don Mills, SINCE, 365LIT) – Get the Bag


I’m with the commenter from the screenshot below on this catchy silly rap shit. Seeing them hyping each other up makes me feel hyped too. The 33 y.o. Don Mills acting like a teenager here is me, haha.




RB NINE – Benchpress


I find this mindless testosterone-hop catchy.


HYO – DEEP


I like how I don’t know what Hyo will come back with every time. This time she decided to jump the "like two electro sharks", it seems. This is so ridiculous I love it. That hollow bridge is shit, however.


TREASURE – HELLO


Feels a bit different since rock/retro is the craze these days. Wouldn’t be surprised if this was taken from Big Bang’s back catalogue.


Blase X Chillin Homie – HIGH


It’s a club-hop doubled with Blase and Chillin Homie who both seem to prefer this style. Love the gritty game-villain-like beat.


Skinny Chase – 9 to 5


The beat is just ok and those loud high-pitched adlibs in the second verse are unnecessary, but the lines about how Skinny Chase would smack the hell out of you if you, the pussy ass bitch, won’t stop talking the shit give me life.


Skinny Chase – JACOB'S LADDER


The chorus and the last verse in Korean is meh, but the lyrics delivered by Skinny Chase’s recognizable old school sing-songy see-saw flow elevate the song more than anything.

Can’t also not commend Skinny Chase’s taste in classics like "The King of Comedy" and "Jacob’s Ladder". I haven’t watched the first one yet, but liked the second one even though the one thing that I remember the most from the film aside from the bathtub scene is how the protagonist’s side chick was railed by a Xenomorph or something. No wonder, Silent Hill, which was inspired by this film, is full of phallic shaped imagery, haha.


Blase, Chillin Homie – Jet Lag


It seems I can count on Chillin Homie for my H&M-club-hop fix and there seems to be a new player in this field, Blase. Chillin Homie’s "Americanized" rap style fits this kind of beats really well and his choruses are often catchy when he performs them.


DRIPPIN – The One


I feel about this one similarly to how I feel about FTISLAND’s "God Bless You". I love the intro riff from that song while dgaf about the rest. There’s a small difference with "The One", however. I like the chorus too, because it features the intro riff that I love and doesn’t leave it for the post-chorus only like in FTISLAND’s song. The riffs in the verses and in the bridge don’t do anything for me.


DPR IAN – Mood


Other RnBullshit songs in the album wished they were as decent as this one.


BIBI – City Love



Finally, an emotional non-RnBullshit song from Bibi, but a boomer Brit pop rock, the type that is underutilized in KPop.


JUSTIN S – HOLD UP!


It seems he recorded this under his toilet seat, but a nice vocal melody is sometimes all I need and the chorus has it.


RoaD-B – Icarus


The killer Sweetune chorus speaks for itself! Wish the verses matched the energy too.


DPR IAN – Ballroom Extravaganza


It’s like a mini decent mix of Nerves + Welcome To The Show.


ATEEZ – Guerrilla


ATEEZ seems to be this generation’s Block B with a hint of VIXX, 'cos of the concept oriented approach, but not really. Appreciate them trying something different and going bonkers for concepts even though not all members like it, haha.


LAZZI – … and I


It’s a fine chill groovepop with early JYP-like singing style, which along with the peculiar bridge distinguishes it from the alike.


New Link – You'll Never Know


Decent y2k flick OST vibes.


KIHYUN – Youth


I always liked Kihyun’s voice. Glad that he was given a very pleasant pop rock song with a touch of dreamy vibes instead of an insipid ballad.


Padi – HANDSOME


Decent looming beat. Padi is outshined by the KHip-Hop veterans in his own song, however.


BULGOGIDISCO – Bichulae


I like the melancholic retro Brit vibes. The ending is super impactful despite it being the calmest bit of the song. The live performances where Luli Lee rocks her cool looking butterfly bass guitar or the cap guy plays the prominent ocean bits in unbothered way are fun to watch. Got new positive this time thing to associate with Lulli Lee after her song that had the biggest blue balling chorus of 2020, haha.


Luke – Cardiac arrest


Very dreamy instrumental. The MV enhances the experience.


10 to 4 – Communication


A complain that I have is this song needs actual verses, because they feel more like pre-choruses. Other than that, love the chorus, desperation and bass add a lot of weight.


Sudal Not Otter – Same love song


Kiha should learn from this song how to make a song with talking actually entertaining. This track makes me feel like I’m witnessing a saloon scene where shit’s going down towards the end with chairs and people flying out of the saloon.


DumbAss – Band Kids!


I dig the acoustic y2k vibes and honest melodies sung by a peculiar voice over a peculiar bass.


Billlie – RING ma Bell


The song is a bit repetitive and not innovative, but it’s fun. Billlie also got it right with the fashion. Everyone looks so good.


LE SSERAFIM – ANTIFRAGILE


I wanted to resist this "I am Fragile, but I am not that fragile" pop, but it pulled me back in. Is Chaewon hiding some brainwashing device under her hat? Hmm…


Nucksal – To You


Didn’t expect such type of song from Nucksal, but he’s engaging here and I like ocean groove.


Seoul Dabansa – Our Love Timeline


Cute, wholesome and dreamy. Not too sugary as well. Feels full without being heavy if it makes sense.


STAYC – RUN2U


I was surprised when the tense verse following the cool cyber auto racing intro led to the weird jazzy romantic chorus, but nonetheless it grew on me and vocals parts were smooth and lovely.


Christopher, CHUNG HA – When I Get Old


He got that Imagine Dragons generic western male voice, but I as a basic bitch don’t mind Imagine Dragons songs and I don’t mind this song too. It’s a nice change of pace from busy KPop to simple melodic western pop.


Navi – Come to Me


I like the drums a lot. They have some punch to them when I listen to this song with my computer headphones. The distinct flute-like sound in the chorus is so cool too. Idc about the rest.


Deadbuttons – Fuckers Are Everywhere


The Zior Parkified bridge sounds like it’s from one of the Shrek soundtracks. This is a compliment, because Shrek unironically featured great songs. Aside from the truest title, it’s also entertaining to me how Deadbuttons, a Korean band, sounds a bit more British than British musicians themselves, haha.


Moon Byul – C.I.T.T


This college pop rock grew on me with time unlike Dami’s more rock equivalent. I guess I fell into Moonbyul’s trap!


Platform Stereo – Vulture


The song extrapolates the feel of this song’s nice chorus into the whole song in my mind.


citygodok – I don't wanna be your dog


I feel like if he was inclined towards engineering instead of music he’d try to do things like teach robot dogs to pee. There needs to be more than zero cute punk nerds rocking in my area with good songs.


Meaningful Stone – Psychomania


0:50 reminds me a bit of the "Hello hello hello..." part in Nirvana's "Smells Like Teen Spirit", which is a positive parallel. Meaningful Stone continue to not suck.


NCT DREAM – Saturday Drip


Way better arcade-hop than the title track from the same album and the guys are allowed to relax a bit for once. The beeping pattern is so addicting.


Conda – Chuckle (Feat. KWAII)


Cool beat and Khundi-Panda-like flow from KWAII. The album itself is a pretty good showcase of Conda’s cinematic and catchy beats.


TPA, EK – INSiDE


The instrumental chorus might be a farting letdown, but the braindead verses are super catchy. The "human" parts are the best. EK~ should think of some dance moves for this song with his dance team.


TWICE – Talk that Talk


I’m not that hyped about this song as everyone else, but gotta admit the bubblegum chorus and Nayeon's Milla Jovovich cosplay deliver.


PURPLE KISS – Pretty Psycho


I started to pay more attention to Purple Kiss with their good rhythmic songs, Rina Sawayama’s slight look-alike and two thicc compared to harsh idol standards members. "Pretty Psycho" is a more interesting and a moodier version of Mamamoo’s "Hip", which was a decent song. I prefer this song to "Nerdy" for some reason.


Jinoa – NOWHERE MAN


Nowhere man would a PC term for hobos in metaverse in the future. You will own nothing and you will be happy. Thank you Jinoa for helping shine light on the insane housing market state and making good music in the process in this economy.


woo!ah! – Catch the Stars


While I don’t care about the verses, the chorus has great energetic melody rapidly sung over the type of flying fast guitar that I love. The song feels adventurous just like the MV. Hell yeah, let’s conquer space without those annoying boys interfering and ruining everything even though the lyrics that we sing are not really about space.


Lydia Lee – Ways We Change


I find this song entertaining, because it feels like a mini musical to me and I'm not even into musicals that much aside from idk "Aladdin" or "Tick, Tick... Boom!", haha. Would be cool if more female soloists could release theatric songs like this or this instead of insipid ballads.


Lee Hyun Jun – Defect Addiction


I have a pretty pedestrian music taste and am not into weird songs that much, but I liked this song. It went Shamalama on my ass with that twist and suddenly the "Guillotine"-like MV makes a bit more sense (or doesn’t). The weird parts are surprisingly catchy and make me look towards calm singing parts too to relax for a while.


Chwvin – Hate is all around


I don’t like how the song changes a bit when it reaches the bridge, but the bass wetter-like-but-not-really verses are so cool.


SURL – NO JAM


I mean Surl’s groove combined with trumpets, oof.


(G)I-DLE – TOMBOY


This comeback is such a tragedy in the context of the fashion department. I mean what’s with those ugly fuchsia outfits or lack of "proper" tomboy fashion. I also found some dance moves with the devil horns hand gestures to be lame too. However, I will take (G)I-DLE with not so good styling and a good fun song over (G)I-DLE with great styling and a messy song.


LUCY – A Day in the 21st Century


This song is so youthful I can’t help feeling a bit hopeful after listening to it. Love the main vocalist’s singing and the violin too, of course. Also, letting fellow bandmates sing in quiet times slightly à la Last Alliance is a nice move.


The Whales – But You!


This wholesome rock makes my day a bit brighter.


Alice – Dance On


This song exemplifies the type of vocals that I love in KPop songs. They are absolutely delightful. Overall, the track feels like a Brave Bro version of IVE’s "After Like", which means nice melodies and festive retro sensibilities.


Rocket Punch – In My World


Songs inspired by the 80s from girl groups released closely to this song didn’t do anything for me for some reason. I feel so happy and shit after listening to this song as a sad fuck. That fun synth melody is super addicting.


MACOMMA – Would You Know?


The damn chorus, where a lower voiced singer and organ-like sincerity kicks in, plays on my heartstrings.


Seo actor – Sand Castle


Might be a cliché, but the vocal melody in the chorus is so good.


Gyepi Sisters – A Pinecone Collector


Very vivid tavern-like theme. Made me reminiscent of Kyary’s "Nanda Collection" album for some reason.


YUNSEOKCHEOL TRIO – Korean Fairy Tale


Dope trad instruments. Would make a cool Sega game OST.


ENHYPEN – Polaroid Love


Can’t deny how great this moderately aegyo song with that lil cute piano is and I’m not even into aegyo songs that much.


msftz – takeoff


The chorus sticking to the "I'm out of breath, I'm really out of breath" theme is super catchy.


Swimgood, Clavita – people I love hurt me


Sonic representation of a quirky cartoon. It’s like I’m being politely slapped constantly, haha. Fascinating experience. I don’t remember the verses, but the chorus is super sweet in a whimsical way.


Zior Park – BULLET


Ununcanny Ayumu Murase adds charm with his instantly recognizable singing style and fluent Engrish storytelling. Who shot Zior’s character in this song might be the biggest mystery after Billie Jean’s kid’s real father identity.


verycoybunny – More


Digging the melancholic y2k pop rock vibes. Love the honest ocean verses.


TREASURE – THANK YOU


I love the flowy vocal melody in the first verse so damn much. The vocalist has a really pleasant voice. The rapper on the other hand should have been removed from this song, his parts are the weakest.


ALBAS – Day N Night


The intro is so captivating. The verses are intriguing. Overall mesmerizing experience.


APRO – Selfish


I really love descending groovy bass like this in my songs. Plays on the right heartstrings. Bibi’s sing-songy verse is nice to the ear. Cool how the song uses the second bridge as the starting point to start adding more shit.


The Bowls – Mr.Love


This cheesy romantic rock with its orchestra and lead singer’s raspy voice makes me emotional due to somehow remembering Treasure Planet and shit. The very last choir leaves a very lasting impression performing somersaults on my heartstrings.


Lee Seung Yoon – Upon A Smile


Lee Seungyoon seems to have made a sequel to the last year’s great "Unspoken". This time it’s even more grandiose. I like his passion and the hopeful y2k/late 90’s orchestra rock vibes he seems to go for, makes me feel nostalgic and shit.


The Black Skirts – Follow You


This song is so much fun. The album itself has some interesting songs like "Powder Blue" with a peculiar gaming-like bg that could fit a lil Sega game "Micro Machines" or "Jeff And Alana" with a twist that made me feel there was something wrong with my headphones when I first listened to it, haha.


The Black Skirts – Baptized In Fire


Instantly recognizable charming TBS bits especially prominent at the end make me so fucking happy. Another great song from TBS. I mean, look at how much fun people are having while watching TBS perform this song live! Wish I was there too even though I'm way far away from Korea, haha.


Doorlesshouse – Colors of


This song makes me remember the good ol’ days when I used to play Sims 2 all day. The "I wanna be a...door"...ed like a goddess chorus is so wholesomely good.


IVE – After LIKE


This could be one of the best retro KPop song of this year. The confident piano and Sweetune-like rap over iconic "I will survive" melody makes the song favorably stand out for me from the sea of other retro songs from 2022.


HEESU – ME


Laidback "exotic" "ethic hip" sound like this is not that popular in KPop. Could be the reason why it grabbed me. Also feels strangely nostalgic and melancholic in a good way, which adds great weight to it.


Kvsh – Hommage


Damn Kvsh here has better beats than most rappers this year. Not only the beat is dope and catchy, but Kvsh himself elevates the material as well. Him pretending to be a rapper in this track didn’t ruin it at all for me, but added more catchiness to his parts. Kvsh also made the breakdown feel even more hopeful and sincere with his emotional singing. The best breakdown ever.


KB (OnlyOneOf) – be free


We had so many groovy songs in 2022 and I like this type of songs, but a lot of those were kinda forgettable. This one, however, is just the best. The first time I heard this song I replayed it so much. It was a love at first sight. I swear this comeback was made literally for me – a filthy fujo who likes descending bass and groovy shred. However, the song is not only groovy, it’s also kind off punchy, but doesn’t "beat" the shit of you, and it's also thrilling making the listener feel different shit. The eruption in the end feeling like a new love has finally blossomed is so fucking good, man.

No comments:

Post a Comment